Thursday, June 13, 2013

BlogHer Food Recap! {Part 1}

NOW ANNOUNCING!!! MY BLOG HER FOOD RECAP!!!

*SO* much fun y’all!!

Emphasis on SO

And FUN

And y’all.

Just kidding.

blogherfood22

On Thursday, we all checked in, said our hellos, began our squealing and jumping, then rushed off to our welome parties.
NanaBread and I went to Whole Foods for their Bites and Bloggers, where we met Rebecca Rather y’all!

She’s a big deal here in Texas. Ms. Rather owns Rather Sweet in Fredericksburg and now has opened the Oink! restaurant.

My mom and I both have her cookbook The Pastry Queen: Royally Good Recipes from the Texas Hill Country’s Rather Sweet Bakery & CafeΒ (affiliate link), and our favorites are her Hello Dolly! bars, and Mile High Meringue.

The dessert she featured was a wildflower honey panna cotta with prickly pear sorbet!!!
HOW CUTE IS THAT?

And how even cuter is that, that Jeanne’s nails matched!

blogherfood19

Friday we woke up bright and early as 5 girls began the process of getting showered, dressed, and made up in 2 bathrooms.

Good thing we’re all so naturally good looking. *cough*

Up top thats Lauren of Grier Mountain, Laurie of Simply Scratch, and Megan of Country Cleaver.

blogherfood18

Being the “local” since Blog Her Food was held in Austin this year, there was *some* pressure for me to take them to a super awesome lunch place.

The humor lies in the fact that I know Austin about as well as I know the cat in my back alley.
I see it, and feel bad when it’s hungry, but visit it every once in awhile.

Yeah, I’ll work on my analogies.

Anyways. Took them to Walton’s Fancy and Staple! Owned by Ms. Sandra Bullock! SO GOOD!
Check out those chocolate chip cookie dough cupcakes.

And yes, we all stood on our chairs to get our overhead lunch shot.
HELLO, we are food bloggers in town for a convention!

blogherfood23

blogherfood01

Then on break… uh.. ok, we cheated and skipped out on one session, we went to explore South Congress, or SoCo.

Stopped into the famous Allen’s boots, and I built my wish list for my next three pairs of must haves.

Dear Santa…..Β

blogherfood24

Next stop was Uncommon Objects. Funnest flea market thrift store around.

With a little creep factor too.

blogherfood25
And noowwwww for the MOST humorous part of the day!!!!

I was SO EXCITED TO BE A TOUR GUIDE Y’ALL!! LIKE, I’M A TOTAL NATURAL!!!!

AND IT WAS THE BIGGEST EPIC FAIL OF THE YEAR!!!

Let me begin….
Once upon a time, there was a famous bridge, we’ll call it the Ann Richards (45th governor of Texas) bridge – otherwise known as Congress Ave Bridge. And under this bridge lived 1.5 MILLIONNN Mexican free tailed bats that reside here from May until November. Well – these bats are so exciting, so spectacular, so social, that people flock from miles around to watch the bats awake at dusk and fly off into the sunset as they eat millions and millions of Mexican free tailed insects.

I’m going to change the name of my tour from Bats & Brats to No Bats & Brats. Catch my drift?

(insert sarcasm)

We arrive at the bridge, all 17 of us, oh and by the way, Marlboro Man almost came on the tour – there’s a little fun fact for ya’.

We arrive at 7:30 and I tell the group they have 45 minutes to be back for dusk to see the spectacle. They can go grab a cocktail. Like the Four Seasons and their “Batini” – it’s good.

Everyone arrives back at 8:15. Dusk arrives at 8:30.
No bats.

“It’s ok y’all, it’s been a little cool, we’ll just give them more time.”
8:50… no bats
“Well, you know, we can’t control the bats? Maybe their tired from their little bat party?”
9:15… no bats
“Uhhhh…. really have no words. Who’s ready for a hot dog?”

I have no idea what happened to the bats. I’ve never heard of them JUST SLEEPING IN.

Who do they think they are?

Don’t they need to EAT?

A person just CAN’T do something fun!

At this point I’m like “Hey, it’s cool, stuff happens, I can’t control nature. They can come back tomorrow to see the bats.”
So the 7 of us left head to Frank for some gourmet hot dogs.

I’m already getting all worked up telling the story, so long story short Mumford & Sons came to Frank before us, took the whole upstairs, leaving no room for BLOG HER FOOD!!!

WHO TURNS AWAY FOODIES WITH A RESERVATION????

UGH!!!!

ANYWAYS, trying to laugh the whole thing off (and crying on the inside), the four of us – Kelly Bogard of Texas Farm Bureau, Lee and Winter Redd of Redd Party Β (yes, that’s their name. Coolest people EVER.) and I made our way to Cedar Door for dinner where we enjoyed some GREAT pomme frittes and white wings.

I hope Mumford & Sons liked their franks. Hmmph.

πŸ™‚

Stay tuned til tomorrow for Part Deaux.

~ Peace, Love, and Bats Y’all

Pin It

17 Responses to “BlogHer Food Recap! {Part 1}”

1. 1

Heather at Basilmomma — June 13, 2013 @ 1:18 pm

I love this AND your karate chop picture πŸ™‚

2. 2

Becky P. — June 13, 2013 @ 1:47 pm

Thanks for being such a great tour guide! I still had fun in spite of the mumford and sons mishap, and my Austin cousins and I are now boycotting Frank! πŸ™‚

3. 3

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — June 13, 2013 @ 2:09 pm

HAHA I’ve totally seen the bats so I know they are there. I think they knew you were coming and decided to go out later that night.

4. 4

Jeanne (NanaBread) — June 13, 2013 @ 2:36 pm

I’m with Meagan… I’ve seen the bats many times. It’s Mumford & Sons for the block that gets me. Don’t they know BlogHer Foodies need their gourmet weiners as much as the next (obviously more famous) guy? That ain’t right, man. Just ain’t right. πŸ˜€

5. 5

Denise {@addicted2recipe} — June 13, 2013 @ 2:52 pm

You were the best tour guide EVER! Sad it turned into #nobatsnotbrats but we still had a great time!!

6. 6

Haley @ The Girly Girl Cooks — June 13, 2013 @ 3:01 pm

Damn those guys for denying you guys weiners! hehe. Love your recap and I can’t wait for part 2! I. Will. Be. There. Next. Year. If. Its. The. Last. Thing. I. Do! I’m absolutely dying to meet you!

p.s. Thank you for the extremely sweet note on the wedding RSVP card. My mom read it to me over the phone. It made my day πŸ™‚

7. 7

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — June 13, 2013 @ 9:41 pm

No bats… no brats. Girl I just love ya! Seriously I think we were made to be friends! XOXO

• katieb replied: — June 14th, 2013 @ 9:02 pm

Um, EXACTLY! I’m glad you finally caught on!! :))) xoxo

8. 8

Lacey — June 14, 2013 @ 8:58 am

I’d heard that the bats didn’t come out! It sounds like y’all still had an eventful night though!

I should have gone to lunch/shopping with y’all on Friday — those boots look fabulous!

XO
    Lacey

• katieb replied: — June 14th, 2013 @ 9:01 pm

Aren’t they great? My Christmas list sure is growing!!

9. 9

Cathy Pollak ~ Noble Pig — June 14, 2013 @ 2:35 pm

I am dying reading your story, I did not realize that happened. The bats okay but Franks….whatever!! So great meeting you.

• katieb replied: — June 14th, 2013 @ 8:59 pm

I’ve been meaning to tweet you. There is a “Noble Pig” in Austin. Is that term common knowlege? …. That trip was hilarious. And still super fun. πŸ™‚

10. 10

Julie @ Sugarfoot Eats — June 16, 2013 @ 8:32 pm

M&S played an awesome show the next night! So I thank you….I’m sure it was the hot dogs that helped them. πŸ™‚

• katieb replied: — June 17th, 2013 @ 10:01 am

HAHA!!! You’re probably right. πŸ™‚ So they were in town for quite a while then!

11. 11

Karly — June 17, 2013 @ 11:37 am

You know, I’m totally bummed that I wasn’t on your excursion. I bet you handled all that like a pro. And I totally would have went out drinking with you after to soothe the pain. Ha! πŸ™‚

• katieb replied: — June 17th, 2013 @ 12:01 pm

Next time Karly!! Next time!!!! I’m holding you to it πŸ™‚

12. 12

The Hill Country Cook » BlogHer Food ’14: Miami Edition — May 24, 2014 @ 9:08 pm

[…] because I have to mention it, the top left picture is a reunion of our #CondoCurse ladies from BlogHer ’13: Austin edition. Our condo was haunted. It was all kinds of […]