Thursday, June 27, 2013

Thai Forbidden Black Rice Pudding

thai rice pudding name

Here’s a little half hippy, half Southern recipe for ya!

I love THAI FOOD!!

Pad thai, noodles, coconut soup, chicken satay, THAI ICED TEA!!!!

I just can’t get enough!

In fact, it’s been a dream of mine for years to go to Thailand, and summer of 2014 I just might get my wish!
My cousin is getting married there, and *THIS GIRL* has already started saving for her ticket!

thai black rice pudding4

My favorite Thai desserts include this Black Rice Pudding, and Sticky Rice with Mango.

The mango treat is made with white rice, also has coconut milk, and freshly sliced mango.

OMG, my mouth is watering already.

Black rice is sometimes called forbidden rice and in Southeast Asia they often eat this for breakfast. It’s a little sweet to me, but I suppose it’s no different than eating donuts, or the mounds of brown sugar I used to put in my oatmeal, uh, cough, before I went PALEO.

In fact, if you really want to bend the rules some, this could be kinda a healthy dessert. Cut the sugar back even more, or substitute honey instead of sugar. It has great flavor. Wouldn’t be Paleo since it’s got rice (a grain), AND sugar (a sweetener), but Paleo IS all about coconut milk! (Paleo is no dairy, grain, or sugar.)

I included a little link at the bottom to Amazon where you can find the products I used. I bought a bigger bag of Black Rice, because I love it, and knew I’d make it more than once, but I included a small bag too.

thai black rice pudding5

You also be pleased to know you start this recipe in a rice cooker. The first time I made this, I tried the stovetop method.

Long story short, I’m a terrible stovetop method person, and it BURNT to the bottom of the pot, there was dark purple water splattered everywhere, and I had to soak my pot for a day and a half to scrub it all out.

#sadfoodblogger

I’ll stick to my rice cooker, thankyouverymuch!

Save some coconut milk, and drizzle that over the top before you serve.

Heavens to betsy, move over Grandma’s Rice Pudding, Thai-style has come to town!

P.S. Since I know I’ve infused you with an infectious curiosity for all things Thai now, go check out your local Thai joint, and let me know your favorite.

thai rice pudding name

~Peace, Love, and Forbidden Rice Y’all

(Here’s an affiliate link where you can find the products I used:)

Print Print Save Save

Thai Forbidden Black Rice Pudding

Adapted from Epicurious
(The original recipe called for 1/2 cup sugar, but I reduced it to 1/4 cup. Experiment to find a sweetness to your liking!)

Ingredients:

1 cup forbidden black rice
3 cups water
1/4 organic sugar
1 can (13.5 oz) full fat unsweetened coconut milk

Directions:

Begin by placing 3 cups water and 1 cup rice in a rice cooker, and set to cook. While the rice is cooking, mix together 1/4 cup sugar and 1 1/2 cups coconut milk (saving the remaining milk for topping). After the rice is finished, transfer the rice and milk mixture to a medium pot. Over medium heat cook the mixture for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until the rice is thicker. Let cool for half an hour, and drizzle each serving with coconut milk.

Pin It

16 Responses to “Thai Forbidden Black Rice Pudding”

1. 1

Haley @ The Girly Girl Cooks — June 27, 2013 @ 5:12 pm

Would you believe I’ve never had Thai food!?!?!? Now I really regret that I’ve never tried it and need to change that ASAP! This rice looks awesome Katie…I especially love the font you used for “Forbidden”. Love it!

• Katie replied: — June 27th, 2013 @ 6:03 pm

HAAAALLLEEEYYYY!!!! We need to fix that!!!! Is there Thai ANYwhere in Montana???

2. 2

Julia — June 28, 2013 @ 10:27 am

I’m right there with you on the Thai food…LOVE it! I’ve never heard of Thai rice pudding but have always loved any type of rice pudding, so I know this would knock my socks off. Brilliant!

• Katie replied: — July 3rd, 2013 @ 11:03 pm

I hope you like it! And would love to see if you come up with a beet or natural sugar alternative recipe! 🙂

3. 3

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — June 28, 2013 @ 11:11 am

OMG, I love Thai and this is such a tasty looking, creative recipe! “Half hippy, half Southern” – haha! I love it.

• Katie replied: — July 3rd, 2013 @ 11:02 pm

That is me to a “T” Georgia!! I hope you try it and love it!

4. 4

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — June 28, 2013 @ 1:30 pm

So, you are totally putting me in your suitcase, right?!! We would have a blasty-blast in the ol’ Thai! P.S. totally need to make this pudding!

• Katie replied: — July 3rd, 2013 @ 11:02 pm

#condocursegoesthai and that’s all I have to say about that!

5. 5

Laurie {SimplyScratch} — June 28, 2013 @ 4:01 pm

Did somebody say FORBIDDEN… SOLD! {please pack me and Lauren in your suitcase please and thank you}

• Katie replied: — July 3rd, 2013 @ 11:01 pm

Um DEAL! If there was a way to get you and Lauren there, I’D BE ON IT!!! #condocursegoesthai

6. 6

robin pack — July 12, 2013 @ 10:21 am

I eat Thai almost every day. I love the hot & sour noodle soups, coconut soup, green papaya salad & everything in between. Love sticky rice w/mango & coconut sauce and this forbidden rice is a welcome new taste treat. I have a microwave steamer rice cooker & wondering if this will work for black rice cooking as well? Makes delicious jasmine rice. thank you for wonderful recipe!

• Katie replied: — July 12th, 2013 @ 10:27 am

I believe it will work, but may require a longer cooking time, as does brown rice. Also notice the 3:1 water ratio for black rice, versus a 2:1 ratio forr regular rice.

7. 7

Misty — November 2, 2013 @ 9:44 pm

Thank you for sharing! I LOVE the same Thai foods, with the exception of satay. I haven’t tried much Thai cuz I can’t resist getting Pad Thai, my fav food! And recently had black rice pudding and it’s DELICIOUS. Great recipe, I just made it as you wrote it. You’ve saved me a lot of money, now that I can make it at home. Thank you!

8. 8

Liang — March 18, 2014 @ 8:01 pm

Thank you for the recipe!! Although I learned this the hard way, there are TWO types of black rice. Do not use “forbidden rice.” It’s a different grain and cooks to be much harder than Thai black rice. Thai black rice is sticky, and makes a better rice pudding.

That being said, if you cook the forbidden rice long enough, it can turn into a pudding consistency but the kernels are not as soft as the Thai black rice.

• Katie replied: — May 22nd, 2014 @ 11:54 am

Great tip! Thank you so much Liang!

9. 9

Joshua — July 13, 2017 @ 2:47 pm

This is also very good with vanilla bean ice cream. I mean the real bryers vanilla bean ice cream! You’ll die and go to…wherever you believe.